Monday, May 9, 2011

Favoritism

We all do it. You know it is true.

There is the cashier you go to instead of the OTHER ONE, the parent you call over the other, the sibling you speak to more than the rest. It feels OK sometimes to be on the giving end of that.... but on the receiving end of it ummm not so much.

Lately I have noticed others that show extreme favoritism towards my children. My parents, my friends, sister yes they all do it. The funny thing is they don't all show it towards the same child. It is pretty much split down the middle.

I know certain people connect more with people most like themselves. However I find I am more on the defense and take offense when I get well meaning comments directed at only one of my kids.

I love my children madly, deeply and whole heartedly, without question they are the best things I have ever done in my life. But I don't love them the same. How can I ? they are so extremely different.

Blake is so much like me, he is witty, shy, sarcastic, and opinionated. see the connection? Elijah is the opposite, he is outgoing, bubbly, not afraid to show his intelligence and use big words. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, I have always referred to them as night and day and it has become more obvious as time has gone by and they have gotten older.

I wish sometimes they would meet more in the middle and find some common ground, but it might never happen. If it never does that will have to be OK E will be seeing gray and Blake will see things in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment