Thursday, September 8, 2011

Decisions, and more decisions

Since March of this year I have been on a medical roller coaster ride, that ride lasted until June and then I just gave up. Quick recap for those that forgot or didn't know- Got strep from a lovely co-worker, subsequent side effects, yeast infections, than UTI, than sever back pain in kidneys, then could not drink anything unclear for eons. Enter Sonograms, CT Scan, find out claustrophobic - great! Then Bladder scope, I highly do not recommend this. $2K later of copay, and dr's visits and meds they have no idea what is wrong with me. July and August were OK, hectic but OK, minor headaches here and there until the one on Aug 29th. Holy Mary Mother of God, it was bad, I was in tears, I woke up Bubba when it woke me up at 12 AM I took double the dose of my headache meds, no relief, ice packs, no relief. Could not find a position that was comfortable, wanted to severely throw up. Finally after 2 AM was able to pass out, Bubba insisted I stay home, rest. OK. Not thrilled about it but OK. Was able to get some rest in and felt somewhat better, on Tuesday back to work. Tuesday of that week I called my Dr and asked for some meds that would make me less stupid and would still get rid of the headache, they called in something and recommended Vicodin. Well I had Vicodin at home, don't like taking stuff like that but ok, I will take it if necessary. The whole purpose of getting different meds is because I was walking around in a fog, could not remember from one thing to the next what I had done. Not good. Can't function that way. The new meds made no difference, Thursday of same week we went to Care Now to get a shot, instead of going to ER. Maybe should have gone to ER but I wanted to be in and out thought they would give me a shot and I would go home and be good. No... No change, Friday work/ school, Saturday back to ER with the lovely Spinal Tap, I will spare the pictures it was bad, my back is bad, they missed it sucked, back still hurts. So lets take inventory head hurts, neck hurts, back hurts in 2 spots, and hips hurt from the shots. Great! ok The Attila the Hun DR at the ER referred me to a neurologist. And said take drugs go to bed, come back if you aren't any better in 24 hrs etc. Well... not any better and we are on Thursday of this week and yesterday I took no meds. No pain meds at all. And.... I had energy! I was able to help around the house and interact, holy moly my head is still pounding but I am not all fuzzy and disoriented, and not knowing what is going on. So, I informed the children and Bubba that I had made a decision. No more pain med, unless it gets completely out of control, and even though I have a headache, back still hurts, hips are good now, I am just going to deal. The reasoning is this - no I am not trying to be a martyr but at some point if the meds aren't working, and you aren't getting any better than what is the point? My Dr referred me to a neurologist as well. I think I am going to wait. I have spoken to too many people in t he last few weeks that have had serious migraines/ headaches and they cannot get rid of them and no one knows why. They are all having drugs and tests thrown at them as well. I don't want to do that! My kid is playing football, I want to be able to go to his games, my older son will be working and driving soon, and I want to be able to be there to support him and not be cracked out. On top of that those three Bubba, B and E make up my family and I want to be able to talk to them, see them and have dinner with them without drooling all over my plate. Working on meds is also not really a good thing, I had several people tell me I was slurring my words last week and wanted to know if I was drunk, ok those are just the ones who felt comfortable to say something!. Now note- if I hadn't had the head CT and the Spinal Tap and they had not come back clear I would be going on the new Doctor but... they did come back clear so for now, I am just going to muddle through and see what happens, next week I might be cursing my decision but for today... this is good. C

No comments:

Post a Comment